Friday, May 28, 2010

Fur Trade Axes

I've been making 1st half (1820-1850's) 19th century fur trade axes, and also 18th century (1700's) trade axes, also referred to as the Belt Axe, Tomahawk, and or Hatchet etc. I stay true to the period in their construction, hand forging & hand welding the poll onto the bar to be the axe on the 19th century &


Forging the poll on the 18th century axe, Both types are steeled in the bit, hardened & tempered.

Originally Iron was used with a file steel as the insert for the bit. I will have only a limited number of authentic iron with steel bit as the true wrought Iron is hard & expensive to acquire. So I've decided to use patterned steel as axe stock, keeping the construction historically correct and voila!

Fur Trade Axes ~Modified~

1 comment:

Sweeti said...

Thank you EJD for coming by and I did go to your website and I am interested in reading your book and meeting you in Portland in July.
The time frames you write about are absolutely in the time frames of my interests. The blacksmiths in that era and the things that they produced. WAS